Thursday 9 February 2017

New Zealand- Week 2

Kia Ora!

So this week was totally epic. Saturday I took a day trip with a company called Student Trips, they offer discounted trips to sights of NZ for Au Pairs, Students, Inters, etc. 

We started off the day at Port Waikato, Its a black sand beach and its just gorgeous. It was a bit chilly so I didn't jump in the water but it was a beautiful view. After the beach we went to the Glow Worm caves... They are seriously as cool as you think they are. The cave was about a 1 Kilometer journey, during which at one point we had to army crawl in water through a tiny rock tunnel. If you're claustrophobic, I don't recommend you try it. When we reached an enormous cavern in the cave, they had everyone turn off their torches(NZ for flashlight) and it was like a galaxy on the ceiling. The glow worms are just marvelous little creatures. After that excursion we took about a mile hike through the hillside/forest to a pretty cool waterfall. 

We spent a lot of time on the bus driving on windy gravel roads through the hillside and the landscape on New Zealand is just breathtakingly beautiful. I mean, rolling green hills as far as the eye can see, its miraculous. We also saw a lot of sheep as there are heaps of them in New Zealand, around 27.6 million. Crazy. 

I drove this week! On the right side of the car on the left side of the road. It's wild.  Luckily all of the road rules here are very similar to ours in the US. However they have a lot more Give Way(Yield) Signs than actual stop signs, so if you're into California stopping, NZ should be your new home. haha. The hardest thing has been the darn blinker! It's on the right side of the steering wheel, so Im constantly turning on the windshield wipers trying to signal. I'll get used to it and then be all confused again when I'm back in the US. 

I have a couple new vocab words as well:

Speed Bumps- Jutterbars
Trunk of the car- The boot
Gas Burners- Hobbs

Also, they don't have biscuits and gravy here. When I mentioned it Tony and Mel had no idea what I was talking about. Just a midwest thing I guess. 

That's really all that has happened to me this week, so Ill keep you all posted. 

Sending love from the future!
Sidni








No comments:

Post a Comment